Review: Seeing Red

Seeing Red by Patty Jansen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Seeing Red is a complex and engaging novel that categorically falls into SciFi but could just as easily have been a political science thriller. The author's use of culture and language, particularly the focus on pronouns, to create her world is very well done-- and the reason for the four stars.

I would classify this novel as plot-driven fiction due to the lack of distinct character voices, but the plot is thick enough to keep the reader turning pages. This first-person narrative novel draws the reader in via the mystery and suspense surrounding an inexperienced ambassador to an alien organization who has a knack for being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Delegate Cory Wilson must try to adapt to unfamiliar surroundings and an unstable Earth government while dealing with conflicts ranging from personal problems with his fiance to professional problems betwixt alien organizations.

I will admit I had some trouble really getting into this one from the beginning due to the political nature of the plot, but I grew more interested as the plot thickened. Overall, Seeing Red is a good read that I would recommend to political thriller readers as well as SciFi readers and I look forward to reading more of this author's work.

Royce Sears
www.roycesears.com



View all my reviews

Comments